As an exercise I will post each day one of Dale Carnegie’s How to Stop Worrying and Start Living rules. This book was written in the 30s and is still of great popularity. The book offers a set of practical formulas to help overcome worry which are said to last a lifetime.
Hope you’ll enjoy it and get some worry less enlightenment.
Rule #27 Remember, no one was ever killed by lack of sleep. It is worrying about insomnia that does the damage – not the insomnia.
People that worry about insomnia usually sleep far better than they realize.
Here are Dale Carnegie’s tips on how to deal with insomnia:
- Get outside during the day to get natural daylight for at least 30min.
- Try to go to bed the same time each night to follow your natural sleep cycle.
- If you can’t sleep, get up and work until you feel sleepy. You may as well use the time in a productive way.
- Don’t worry about insomnia…it does far more damage than the actual lack of sleep.
- Try a prayer or a gratitude self talk to close the day. This will make you feel more secure.
- Relax your body. Try a mindfulness meditation.
- Exercise. Get yourself so physically tired that you can’t stay awake.